September is National Senior Center Month—your opportunity to showcase your senior center and promote a positive image of aging.
The 2019 theme is: Senior Centers: The Key to Aging Well!
This September, the National Institute of Senior Centers (NISC) is demonstrating how senior centers are integral parts of aging well. Senior centers are the key for individuals to age healthily, and also for communities to properly support older adults. We are celebrating this by highlighting the theme Senior Centers: The Key to Aging Well, and we invite you to join us for National Senior Center Month!
Senior centers are the future of what aging can be. Innovative programs hosted at senior centers can change the perception of aging, and create important community resources for aging expertise. NISC strives to build momentum in the movement to empower senior centers to become as excellent as possible through programs such as National Accreditation and the Programs of Excellence Awards. We hope you will promote your center this September by showing how your center can be the future of aging in your community.
You can help NISC promote the important work your center does as well! Share success stories of how your center positively affected older adults using our Senior Center Success Stories form.
Senior Center Month materials
2019 Senior Center Month materials are now available for download!
- 2019 Program Guide: This free guide is available to anyone! Explore programming ideas for Senior Center Month.
- Publicity Template: Use this template in your center so your participants can show what aging well means to them.
NISC MEMBERS ONLY
- 2019 Publicity Guide: Download and explore our tips on how to create and promote a memorable Senior Center Month experience.
- Posters: Make the national theme your own by customizing the 2019 Senior Center Month poster, or download our version to hang in your center.
How to download
To download these materials, please visit NISC Crossroads and follow these steps:
- Log in to NISC Crossroads
- Click on the Members Library tab near the top of the page
- Open the folder labeled “2- Senior Center Month Files”
- Select the documents and click “Download”
- If you have any issues downloading the materials, please contact email@example.com.
Our national celebration of senior centers began in 1979, with Senior Center Week celebrated in May. The concept gained support of other aging organizations, as well as the full Senate and the House Select Committee on Aging.
Thanks to the U.S. Conference of Mayors Aging Task Force, numerous mayoral proclamations celebrated Senior Center Week. In 1985, NISC was instrumental in achieving the first Senior Center Week Presidential Proclamation signed by President Ronald Reagan. In 2007, NISC designated the entire month of September as Senior Center Month to give centers greater flexibility in scheduling celebratory events.
Not a NISC member?
Join NISC to receive all of the Senior Center Month materials as part of your membership.
Join the nation, celebrate, and have fun with National Senior Center Month!
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.