September is National Senior Center Month—your opportunity to showcase your senior center and promote a positive image of aging.
Share your 2020 Senior Center Month poster with us at firstname.lastname@example.org!
The 2020 theme is: Senior Centers: Delivering Vital Connections!
This year’s theme was chosen to highlight how senior centers deliver vital connections to support older adults aging well. Preventing social isolation is vital and a core senior center mission. While the delivery methods have changed during the pandemic, centers have succeeded in continuing to provide knowledge, programming, and resources. During senior center month showcase your center and its vital role in your community, promote a positive image of aging, and create interest among prospective new participants.
Our key words this celebration are Mind, Body, Spirit, Community. They are important reminders to take a holistic approach. During your celebration share programs that connect to:
- Mind: Offer a Spanish class, start a creative writing class or a meditation group.
- Body: Deliver a new evidence-based program or a healthy cooking class
- Spirit: Develop a gratitude journaling group or a volunteer led wellness call program
- Community: Create a community virtual Talent Show or a letter writing campaign.
NISC builds connections between senior centers through programs such as National Accreditation and the Programs of Excellence Awards. We hope you will promote your center this September by showing how your center can be the future of aging in your community.
You can help NISC promote the important work your center does as well! Share success stories of how your center positively affected older adults using our Senior Center Success Stories form.
Senior Center Month materials
2020 Senior Center Month materials are now available!
- Program Guide: This free guide is available to anyone! Explore programming ideas for Senior Center Month.
NISC MEMBERS ONLY
NISC Members can download these materials from NISC Crossroads. Head to the Members Library tab, and then open the folder marked “Senior Center Month”.
- 2020 Publicity Guide: Download and explore our tips on how to create and promote a memorable Senior Center Month experience.
- Posters: Share our poster with your participants and community to get them in the senior center spirit!
Our national celebration of senior centers began in 1979, with Senior Center Week celebrated in May. The concept gained support of other aging organizations, as well as the full Senate and the House Select Committee on Aging.
Thanks to the U.S. Conference of Mayors Aging Task Force, numerous mayoral proclamations celebrated Senior Center Week. In 1985, NISC was instrumental in achieving the first Senior Center Week Presidential Proclamation signed by President Ronald Reagan. In 2007, NISC designated the entire month of September as Senior Center Month to give centers greater flexibility in scheduling celebratory events.
Not a NISC member?
Join NISC to receive all of the Senior Center Month materials as part of your membership.
Join the nation, celebrate, and have fun with National Senior Center Month!
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact email@example.com.