A reverse mortgage allows homeowners aged 62+ to convert a portion of their home equity into cash while they continue to live at home for as long as they want. If you or an older adult you know is considering a reverse mortgage, you must get counseling from a government-approved agency.
Our Reverse Mortgage Counseling Services Network is one of nine national counseling groups approved by the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development (HUD).
What reverse mortgage counselors do
Our counselors are HUD-approved aging services professionals who can help you:
- Evaluate the pros and cons of a reverse mortgage for your situation
- Screen for public and private benefits that can help you pay for needs like home energy, meals, and medications
- Find services in your community that can help you stay independent longer
Reverse mortgage counseling fees
There is a $90 upfront fee for this service. Depending on available funding, we will:
- Waive the $90 counseling fee for a limited number of older adults who are facing financial hardships such as foreclosure or bankruptcy, who are using respite care, or whose monthly income is less than $1,000
- Allow a limited number of older adults to pay at closing if their monthly income is less than 200% of the federal poverty level ($1,961 for single homeowners and $2,655 for couples)
Make an appointment
To schedule a reverse mortgage counseling session, call toll-free 855-899-3778.