The National Institute of Senior Centers (NISC) is committed to supporting and strengthening the nation’s 11,000 senior centers through best practices, professional development, advocacy, research, and national standards and accreditation.
Why should you join NISC?
We are the only organization solely focused on the needs of senior center professionals.
NISC leadership, senior center professionals, and the National Council on Aging's (NCOA) staff work in partnership to address the issues that are most important to you, the older adults you serve, and your communities. NCOA’s advocacy team ensures that your concerns are heard on Capitol Hill.
Membership is free, and as a NISC Affiliate, you will receive concise e-newsletters focused on the issues you care about—policies that affect funding, grants, and awards you can apply for. In addition, all NISC Affiliates have free access to NCOA’s newly funded Modernizing Senior Centers Resource Center, where you can find resources and specialized programming that you can adapt for your senior center.
NISC is setting the standard for the future of senior centers.
Building Excellence, the national standards manual for senior centers, is available to NISC Affiliates. Use it to do your own self assessment or as a guide to becoming a nationally accredited senior center.
Your next big idea may come from half way across the country.
When you join NISC, you are instantly connected to a national network of professional support and innovative solutions. Ask for help, share an opinion, or get your next big idea within the NISC network.
NISC's education and training opportunities provide an inside look at what’s working at other senior centers across the country and bring experts in the field directly to your desktop.
The benefits of becoming a NISC Affiliate member
- National Senior Center Accreditation discount and Peer Reviewer opportunity
- Senior Center Month publicity guide and customizable poster
- Cellular Recycler revenue opportunity
- Discounted Motion Picture Licensing Agreement
- Listing on NCOA's map of senior center members
- PurchasingPoint® discount program
- Public policy updates and advocacy
- Monthly newsletter
- Educational webinars
- National conference discounts
- Community education program materials and training
- Networking and national projects
- NISC Collaborative Leadership program
What NISC Affiliate members are saying ...
Through NISC, I have learned how to be a successful advocate for my seniors and the programs we offer."
- Chuck Ricks, Senior Center Director, WV
NISC accreditation gives us amazing leverage. When we write grants, we will be much more attractive to the grantors.
- Paula Dolan-Pare, Volunteer & Former Senior Center Director, MA