Provide a mailed Spanish language self-management kit for people with chronic conditions in your community.
Help participants address every day activities like exercise, nutrition, and symptom management.
Tomando Control de Su Salud Mailed Tool Kit (with or without telephone scripts) is an interactive Spanish language workshop delivered by mailed tool kit with materials that may be supplemented with six weekly scripted group telephone calls for 3-6 people on each call. For those living with one or more physical or mental health chronic conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, depression, etc. Participants learn the skills to manage their conditions on a day to day basis: exercise, healthy eating, symptom management (pain, fatigue, sleep, shortness of breath, stress and depression), weight loss, and communication skills. Core self-management skills taught include action planning, problem solving and decision making.
Note: Track health promotion program guidance during COVID-19 regularly for updates to program implementation and training options. Programs traditionally implemented in-person may be temporarily allowable by telephone or online.
- Target audience: Spanish-speaking adults, 18 years and older, living with one or more chronic conditions, especially those who cannot or will not use the internet.
- Health outcomes:
- Improved health behaviors (exercise, medication adherence, communicating with health professionals)
- Reduced symptoms (depression, activity limitation, days physical health not good, days mental health not good, (for those with diabetes, hypoglycemia)
- Reduced health care utilization (ED visits, physician visits )
- Delivered by: 1 trained peer facilitator (only if telephone calls are used)
- Program type: Individual or small groups of 3-6
- Format: Spanish materials received through the mail (book, self-test, tip sheets, exercise and relaxation CDs or MP3s) with or without six weekly 45-60- minute small group phone calls.
- Length: 6 weekly 45-60 minute sessions for those receiving phone calls
- Training: In-person or virtual (same training as for CDSMP leaders)
- Professional required: No
- Accessibility adaptations available: Yes
- Cultural adaptations available: Yes. This program is culturally adapted from CDSMP.
- Available in languages other than English: No
- Chronic Disease
- Falls Prevention
- Medication Management
- Pain Management
- Physical Activity