Learn more about this small group falls prevention program for older adults with a focus on balance, strength, and medication and vision review.
Stepping On is endorsed by the CDC because its one-of-a-kind multifactorial approach, a seven session small group community-based falls prevention workshop, based on behavior change, preventative framework and principles of adult education, focusing on four critical domains: balance and strength exercises; medication review; vision review; and home modifications.
Stepping On has recently been approved to be developed for remote delivery. Currently, the Stepping On National License Holder (the Wisconsin Institute for Healthy Aging – WIHA) is moving towards building trainings and completing the dissemination package for current license holders and future license holders to deliver Stepping On online and trainings for new leaders. Current license holders, Master Trainers and Facilitators of Stepping On will be eligible to apply for trainings in early January 2021. Visit the WIHA website dates, times and details.
Note: Track health promotion program guidance during COVID-19 regularly for updates to program implementation and training options. Programs traditionally implemented in-person may be temporarily allowable by telephone or online.
- Target audience: Adults age 60+ who are cognitively intact, live in their own home or apartment (not nursing home or assisted living) and do not use a walker inside of their home, scooter or wheelchair some or all of the time. (Cane ok)
- Health outcomes: 31% reduction in falls risk.
- Delivered by: Two 3-day trained facilitators: aging network professionals, health care providers or fitness instructors. Another model includes 1 trained facilitator who has completed the 3 -day in person training and one peer leader.
- Program type: Group
- Format: In-person in community, online training anticipated in January 2021
- Length: 7 sessions
- Training: Online, in-person
- Professional required: Yes or no
- Accessibility adaptations available: Yes, limited
- Cultural adaptations available: Yes
- Available in languages other than English: Spanish under development, has been delivered in Hmong/Lao.
- Falls Prevention