Provide an interactive online Spanish language self-management workshop for people with chronic conditions in your community.
Help participants address every day activities like exercise, nutrition, and symptom management.
Tomando Control de Su Salud (adapted Chronic Disease Self-Management Program) virtual real time is an interactive Spanish language workshop delivered via Zoom or similar virtual platform for those living with one or more physical or mental health chronic conditions such as arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, depression, etc. Participants learn the to manage their conditions on a day to day basis: exercise, healthy eating, symptom management (pain, fatigue, sleep, shortness of breath, stress and depression), weight loss, and communication skills. Core self-management skills taught include action planning, problem solving and decision making.
Note: Track health promotion program guidance during COVID-19 regularly for updates to program implementation and training options. Programs traditionally implemented in-person may be temporarily allowable by telephone or online.
- Target audience: Spanish-speaking adults, 18 years and older, with one or more chronic conditions
- Health outcomes: (These are reported from the in-person studies.)
- Improved health behaviors (exercise, medication adherence, communication with health professionals)
- Reduced symptoms (pain, fatigue, shortness of breath, depression)
- Reduced health care utilization (ED visits, physician visits hospital days)
- Delivered by: 2 trained peer facilitators
- Program type: Group
- Format: Interactive virtual groups using Zoom or similar platform
- Length: 6 weekly 2.5 hours session
- Training: In-person or virtual
- Professional required: No
- Accessibility adaptations available: Yes
- Cultural adaptations available: Yes. This program is culturally adapted from CDSMP but is not a direct translation.
- Available in languages other than English: Portuguese (for other languages see Chronic Disease Self-Management)
- Chronic Disease
- Falls Prevention
- Medication Management
- Pain Management
- Physical Activity