Provide an interactive, online-based Spanish language self-management workshop for people with type 2 diabetes in your community.
Help participants address everyday activities like exercise, nutrition, and symptom management.
Manejo personal de la diabetes (Diabetes Self-Management Program) virtual real time, is an interactive Spanish language group workshop delivered via Zoom or similar virtual platform. This is for adults living with type 2 diabetes and is recognized by the American Diabetes Association as a Diabetes Support Program. Participants learn the skills to manage their diabetes on a day to day basis: exercise, healthy eating, symptom management (fatigue, sleep, stress, depression, hypoglycemia), weight loss, communication skills, how to manage sick days, importance of glucose monitoring, and about other necessary tests. Core self-management skills taught include action planning, problem solving and decision making. Content meets all ADA and ADCES standards.
Note: Track health promotion program guidance during COVID-19 regularly for updates to program implementation and training options. Programs traditionally implemented in-person may be temporarily allowable by telephone or online.
- Target audience: Spanish-speaking adults, 18 years and older, living with type 2 diabetes
- Health outcomes: (Data taken from large national study done virtually and in person)
- Improved health behaviors (exercise, medication adherence, communication with health professionals, role function)
- Reduced HbA1c
- Increased adherence to advised examinations (eye, foot, kidney)
- Improved symptoms (hypoglycemia, depression, fatigue, sleep problems)
- Reduced health care costs
- Delivered by: 2 trained peer facilitators
- Program type: Group
- Format: Highly interactive group session offered via Zoom or similar platform
- Length: 6 weekly 2.5 hour sessions
- Training: In-person or virtual
- Professional required: No
- Accessibility adaptations available: Yes
- Cultural adaptations available: Yes. This program is culturally adapted from DSMP but is not a direct translation
- Available in languages other than English: Portuguese (for other languages see Chronic Disease Self-Management)
- Medication Management
- Physical Activity