Provide a mailed Spanish language self-management workshop for people with type 2 diabetes in your community.
Help participants address everyday activities like exercise, nutrition, and symptom management.
Manejo personal de la diabetes Mailed toolkit (with or without telephone scripts) is a Spanish language interactive workshop delivered by mailed tool kit with materials that may be supplemented with six weekly scripted group telephone calls for 3-6 people on each call. This is for adults living with type 2 diabetes. Participants learn the skills to manage their diabetes on a day to day basis: exercise, healthy eating, symptom management (fatigue, sleep, stress, depression, hypoglycemia), weight loss, communication skills, how to manage sick days, importance of glucose monitoring, and about other necessary tests. Core self-management skills taught include action planning, problem solving and decision making. Content meets all ADA and ADCES standards.
Note: Track health promotion program guidance during COVID-19 regularly for updates to program implementation and training options. Programs traditionally implemented in-person may be temporarily allowable by telephone or online.
- Target audience: Spanish-speaking adults, 18 years and older, living with type 2 diabetes, especially those who cannot or will not use the internet
- Health outcomes: (Data taken from large national study done virtually and in person)
- Improved health behaviors (exercise, medication adherence, communication with health professionals, role function)
- Reduced HbA1c
- Increased adherence to advised examinations (eye, foot, kidney)
- Improved symptoms (hypoglycemia, depression, fatigue, sleep problems)
- Reduced health care costs
- Delivered by: 1 trained peer facilitator (only if telephone calls are made)
- Program type: Individual or small groups of 3-6
- Format: Materials received through the mail (book, self-test, tip sheets, exercise and relaxation CDs or MP3s) with or without six weekly 45-60- minute small group phone calls.
- Length: 6 weekly 45-60 minute sessions for those receiving phone calls.
- Training: In-person or virtual (same training as for DSMP leaders)
- Professional required: No
- Accessibility adaptations available: Yes
- Cultural adaptations available: Yes. This program is culturally adapted from DSMP but is not a direct translation
- Available in languages other than English: No
- Medication Management
- Physical Activity