Learn more about this program focused on raising participants’ knowledge and awareness of falls as well as steps to prevent them.
Healthy Steps for Older Adults was developed by the Fall Prevention Initiative of the Pennsylvania Department of Aging and is an evidence-based falls prevention program for adults age 50 and over. The program is designed to raise participants’ knowledge and awareness of falls, introduce steps they can take to reduce falls and to improve their health and well-being, and provide referrals and resources. Healthy Steps for Older Adults is a unique, comprehensive, community-based falls prevention program. Healthy Steps for Older Adults provides a falls risk screening assessment and addresses many common causes of falls: Environmental safety o Balance, strength, flexibility, and endurance exercises; Nutrition; Foot health; Sensory deficits (vision/hearing); Side effects of medication o Health status/disease states, including substance use; The need to maintain an active lifestyle; Social connectedness; and Mental and spiritual well-being.
Note: Track health promotion program guidance during COVID-19 regularly for updates to program implementation and training options. Programs traditionally implemented in-person may be temporarily allowable by telephone or online.
- Target audience: Older adults age 50 years and older
- Health outcomes:
- Reduction in falls incidence by 18% for program participants
- Reduction in falls related hospitalization costs of $840 for program participants
- Delivered by: Certified Workshop Leader
- Program type: Group
- Format: In-Person in Community
- Length: Two, 2-hour workshops
- Training: Online, In-Person. Completion of three HSOA Workshop Leader online training modules (approximately 45 minutes each), Completion of a two-day HSOA Workshop Leader classroom training (approximately 6.5 hours each day)
- Professional required: No
- Accessibility adaptations available: Yes
- Cultural adaptations available: Yes, accommodations available upon request.
- Available in languages other than English: Spanish
- Physical Activity
- Substance Use
- Behavioral Health
- Chronic Disease
- Falls Prevention
- Medication Management
- Contact: Carol Harris, Dering Consulting Group (email@example.com; (717)234-0567 extension 213)