Online Therapy Review Methodology
How we rank and review online therapy platforms
Based on independent research and consultations with mental health experts, our Reviews Team determined the following factors to be important when looking for online therapy:
- Overall cost
- Total value of the proposed services
- Whether it accepts insurance
- Potential discounts or financial aid
- Transparent billing practices
- Whether the technology is easy to use
- Whether you can filter therapists by preferences or specialties
- Ease of scheduling appointments
- Accessibility across different ZIP codes
- Reliability of customer service
- Ability to switch therapists
The Reviews Team developed a scoring system for online therapy platforms that considers cost, customer service, user experience, and unique features. Here’s how it breaks down:
Pricing (35% of total score): Points were awarded to platforms that accept insurance, offer financial assistance or discounts, and are at or below the average cost.
Customer Service and Policies (20% of total score): This section includes customer service availability, provider flexibility, and contractual policies, including hidden fees, cancellation policies, and pricing transparency.
User Experience (30% of total score): Platforms should be easy to use and offer multiple types of therapy, including live video or calls, live messaging, and non-live messaging.
Special Features and Brand Perks (15% of total score): The team determined whether a platform’s providers can prescribe medication and if they offer any extras, like meditation videos or free group therapy.