Learn more about important health care terms
View our new Video Companion Guide, developed to enhance community-based organizations’ understanding of specific terms featured in NCOA’s video, Improving Quality of Life and Health Care Outcomes Through Chronic Disease Self-Management Education Programs. Use this resource to complement your outreach and engagement with health care organizations.
Learn more about Medicare’s Diabetes Self-Management Training benefit
November is National Diabetes Awareness Month and diabetes is among the top 10 most common and growing chronic conditions among adults aged 65+. Visit our Roadmap to Community-Integrated Health Care to learn more about how to seek reimbursement for community-based programs through the DSMT benefit.
Comparisons of interventions for preventing falls in older adults
The Journal of the American Medical Association recently released a meta-analysis that assesses the effectiveness of falls prevention interventions. The analysis of 283 randomized clinical trials of falls prevention interventions concluded that exercise alone and various combinations of interventions were associated with lower risk of injurious falls compared with usual care.
Watch this powerful video about the impact of CDSME
View South Dakota State University’s new video that describes the life changing benefits of evidence-based chronic disease self-management education (CDSME) programs. Cole Hunter shares his experience of participating in CDSME and the impact of serving as a Master Trainer to support others in building the skills to manage their conditions.
ACL releases new issue brief on community living for AI/AN/NH Elders
The Administration for Community Living (ACL) is dedicated to supporting native elders to live with dignity and self-determination. Read this report for information on the innovative programs coordinated by the aging network that promote healthy and community-based living and learn about successful strategies to embed programs within local context and cultures.
Tools for elder Hispanic economic security
According to the Elder Economic Security Standard™ Index, half of all Hispanic couples aged 65+ are economically insecure. NCOA has two trusted online tools that empower older adults to take control of their budget. BenefitsCheckUp® is a free, confidential tool to find benefits programs. EconomicCheckUp® provides trusted money management tools for older adults looking to improve their economic security. Share this information with older adults who might need it!
- Falls prevention evidence-based program review: Apply for inclusion on ACL’s list of highest-tier evidence-based falls prevention programs. Letters of intent (optional) are due Nov. 17 and Stage 1 applications are due January 19.
- Introducing the Falls Prevention Conversation Guide: Join this webinar to learn about the new Falls Prevention Conversation Guide for caregivers and participate in a fall prevention Q & A session with a pharmacist, an occupational therapist, and a physical therapist. Nov. 28 @ 4-5 p.m. ET
- Older Driver Safety Awareness Week (Dec. 4-8): Visit the American Occupational Therapy Association’s website for resources to promote the importance of mobility and transportation for older adults.
- Explore Helpful Healthy Aging Resources from NCOA: Join this webinar for a guided tour of helpful resources developed by NCOA’s Center for Healthy Aging to support your work in implementing evidence-based programs. Dec. 12 @ 2-3 p.m. ET
- Quarterly Otago Exercise Program webinar: Join this recurring webinar to learn more about the Otago evidence-based falls prevention program. Jan. 24 @ 12-1 p.m. ET
- What Healthy Black Women Can Teach Us About Health: Download a new report from the Black Women’s Health Imperative detailing strategies that black women use to stay strong and healthy.
- Winterize to prevent falls: Winter weather can lead to devastating slips, trips, and falls. Consider these five “winterizing” steps to reduce falls among older adults and adults with disabilities in your community.
- America’s Opioid Epidemic: From Prevention to Recovery: View the video of a recent panel coordinated by The Hill, to discuss the impact of the opioid epidemic on seniors and treatment and prevention strategies for older adults.
- Falls are the most common cause of injury for older adults—Exercise can help: Share this article from the Washington Post about the benefits of exercise for falls prevention.
- Strategies for talking to someone with hearing loss: Share these tips from the National Institute on Aging for talking with someone with hearing loss.
- What’s normal aging and what may be a sign of Alzheimer’s?: Check out this infographic to see what’s typical.
© 2017 National Council on Aging, Inc. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use prohibited. May not be reproduced in whole or in part by persons, organizations, or corporations other than NCOA, its affiliates, divisions, and units without the prior written permission of an authorized officer of NCOA. For permission, please contact email@example.com.
NCOA | 251 18th Street South | Suite 500 | Arlington, VA 22202