Falls prevention evidence-based program review
Apply for inclusion on the Administration for Community Living (ACL) list of highest-tier evidence-based falls prevention programs. Approved programs meet the criteria for Older Americans Act Title III-D support and possible discretionary funding from ACL.
Scholarships available for the 2017 National CDSME and Falls Prevention Resource Centers Meeting
The Resource Centers Meeting will take place on May 23-25 in Alexandria, VA. Individuals from nonprofit organizations and state and local agencies are invited to apply for a scholarship to support attendance at this year’s meeting.
New Aging and Disability Business Institute
Explore the Aging and Disability Business Institute, a new resource center funded by ACL and several foundations focused on enhancing the business acumen of community-based organizations (CBOs). The lead organization, the National Association of Area Agencies on Aging, has developed a new website to help CBOs build successful partnerships with the health care community.
See It In Action: Partnering with hospitals to implement the Living Healthy with Hypertension module
Visit the Roadmap to Community Integrated Health Care to learn more about how MAC, Inc. partnered with local hospitals to implement the Living Well with Hypertension module as an introduction to the Chronic Disease Self-Management Program and as a tool to identify individuals with poorly controlled or uncontrolled hypertension. The toolkit also provides guidance for identifying and engaging potential hospital partners in your community.
Top 10 Most Common Chronic Conditions for Adults Aged 65+
Check out our new blog post and infographic about the most common chronic conditions among adults aged 65+, according to Medicare, and what you can do to prevent or manage them.
Healthy Steps for Older Adults (HSOA)
HSOA is an evidence-based falls prevention program for adults aged 50+. Consisting of two 2-hour community-based workshops, HSOA is designed to raise participants’ falls prevention knowledge and awareness, introduce steps to reduce falls and improve health and well-being, as well as provide referrals and resources. HSOA was developed by the Fall Prevention Initiative of the Pennsylvania Department of Aging.
New listserv for CDSME and falls prevention professionals
NCOA has transitioned from Crossroads to a new and easier-to-use listserv to facilitate communication among professionals implementing evidence-based CDSME and falls prevention programs. All members of NCOA Crossroads were automatically enrolled in the new listserv. If you’re not currently a member, send us an email and specify whether you would like to receive messages about CDSME, falls prevention, or both.
- Reaching People with Arthritis: Strategies and Tools: Join this webinar for a discussion about the prevalence and impact of arthritis in America and strategies to connect people with arthritis to evidence-based programs. March 28 @ 3-4:30 p.m. ET
- Register for Senior Centers 2017: Attend the only national conference for senior center professionals at the Hyatt Lodge in Oakbrook, IL on June 13-16.
- Matter of Balance training opportunities: Register for Master Trainer sessions in Portland, ME May 9-10 or Charlotte, NC June 20-21.
- Person-Centered Care for High-Need, High-Cost Medicare Patients: Read this article about the increased need for medical services among adults with chronic conditions and functional or cognitive impairments.
- “Don’t fall for me” this Valentine’s Day: See how children helped older loved ones prevent falls by sharing free falls prevention Valentine’s Day cards and simple tips from STEADY U Ohio.
- Educate your participants about heart failure: Access resources from the American Heart Association’s Rise Above Heart Failure campaign to understand the warning signs, find tools for caregivers, and learn more about living with this condition.
- The Right Way to Fall by The New York Times: Read this article for advice from stunt professionals, paratroopers, and physical therapists on how to safely fall.
- Retirement Research Foundation grants: Submit a proposal for direct service projects focused on serving seniors by March 15.
- Stay Independent Checklist: Use the CDC’s checklist to raise awareness about the risk of falls among American Indians.
- Winter ready emergency preparedness information: Help older adults get ready for winter storms, power outages, and cold weather safety by sharing these facts from the American Public Health Association.
- Check out Straight Talk for Seniors®: Find information for older adults, their families, caregivers, and professionals on key issues involving the Affordable Care Act, Medicaid, and Medicare.
- New report on hunger in older adults: Read this report for information about a variety of food assistance programs that can work in combination to address the needs of the more than 10 million older Americans facing hunger each year.
© 2017 National Council on Aging, Inc. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use prohibited. May not be reproduced in whole or in part by persons, organizations, or corporations other than NCOA, its affiliates, divisions, and units without the prior written permission of an authorized officer of NCOA. For permission, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.