Just released: 2015 Falls Prevention Action Plan
NCOA has released the 2015 Falls Free® National Falls Prevention Action Plan, a roadmap for a collaborative, comprehensive, and coordinated effort to reduce falls among older adults over the next 5-10 years. The plan’s 40 strategies and 242 action steps focus on several fall risk factors and cross-cutting challenges.
Falls Prevention Awareness Day is around the corner!
The 8th annual Falls Prevention Awareness Day is Sept. 23—the first day of fall. This year’s theme is Take a Stand to Prevent Falls, and the official social media hashtag is #FPAD15. Plan your celebration using our tips and tools.
New and updated CDSME resources
We regularly post helpful resources on our website, so be sure to visit often! Read our newest document highlighting tips, resources, and success stories on offering Chronic Disease Self-Management Education (CDSME) programs in rural areas. Also, get the latest facts on chronic disease self-management by downloading our updated fact sheet.
Enter now: Falls Free® Video Contest
Thanks to generous support from GSK, NCOA’s Falls Free® Initiative is holding a video contest! We’re looking for positive images of older adults engaged in a variety of falls prevention activities. The winners will receive Amazon gift cards, and their videos will be used in NCOA national media and falls prevention materials.
Community Integrated Health Care (CIHC) Survey
We surveyed CDSME grantees and CIHC workgroup members to determine the most important types of resources and partnerships to strengthen health care integration. Toolkits ranked first for type of resource, while Federally Qualified Health Centers and Patient-Centered Medical Homes were the highest-rated partnerships. As a result of the findings, we are developing several new resources and have dedicated a section on our website to health care integration.
Partnering with the health care sector
The SCAN Foundation recently released a suite of resources for community-based organizations seeking partnerships with the health care sector. Access case studies, free online learning modules, and more.
- Healthy Aging Month: Check out NCOA’s website to find resources to promote healthy aging.
- Go4Life Month: Visit the Go4Life website for free physical activity event planning resources, motivational tools, tip sheets, and more.
- National Senior Center Month: Showcase the importance of senior centers and promote a positive image of aging.
- Hunger Action Month: Find out how your organization can help prevent senior hunger.
- World Alzheimer’s Month: Join an international effort to raise awareness and challenge stigma around Alzheimer’s disease.
- A Guided Tour of the New Center for Healthy Aging Website: Learn about the resources available on our website to help organizations offer, scale, and sustain CDSME, falls prevention, and other evidence-based health programs. Sept. 15 @ 3:30 p.m. ET.
- Suicide Prevention and Older Adults: Hear from expert speakers on risk factors for older adult suicide and successful prevention strategies. Sept. 17 @ 2:30 p.m. ET.
- SEEK: 2015 Senior Center Conference: Register now to learn actionable strategies for making communities a better place for older adults to live, work, and play. Sept. 20-22, Columbus, IN.
- A Matter of Balance Master Trainer Sessions: Attend these upcoming sessions to offer the A Matter of Balance falls prevention program in your community.
- The Mailed Chronic Disease Self-Management Toolkit: This alternate delivery mode has been shown to help achieve the Triple Aim and has potential for increasing reach when offered in conjunction with community-based and online programs.
- Many seniors overestimate their mobility: A new study reports that many seniors who visit emergency departments require more assistance with physical tasks than they think they do.
- Exercise for balance can help older women avoid falls, injuries: A two-year balance training program reduced injurious falls and improved physical function in women aged 75-85 at risk of falling.
- CDC Arthritis Program Marketing Tools: Learn about marketing strategies to promote CDSME and physical activity programs to health professionals.
- America’s Health Rankings 2015 Senior Report: Find out how seniors in your state rank on a number of different health measures.
- The Facts Hurt: A State-by-State Injury Prevention Policy Report: Released by the TFAH and the RWJF, this report includes 10 key indicators of leading evidence-based strategies that reduce injuries, including falls.
- Vitamin D supplements could help reduce falls in homebound elderly: A study showed that people who received Vitamin D reported approximately half the number of falls compared to the control group.
© 2015 National Council on Aging, Inc. All rights reserved. Unauthorized use prohibited. May not be reproduced in whole or in part by persons, organizations, or corporations other than NCOA, its affiliates, divisions, and units without the prior written permission of an authorized officer of NCOA. For permission, please contact email@example.com.
NCOA | 251 18th Street South | Suite 500 | Arlington, VA 22202