Every year, the National Institute of Senior Centers (NISC) honors outstanding efforts made by senior centers across the nation to offer innovative, creative, and replicable programs for older adults.
Senior centers across the country offer an exciting array of programs. The annual NISC Programs of Excellence Awards honor and promote these outstanding efforts.
In 2018, NISC is offerring $100 awards for winners of each category, and a $300 award for the top social isolation prevention campaign! The $300 award will rotate through different categories over the next few years.
After reviewing 92 nominations, the NISC Committee selected 8 award winners and 8 honorable mentions. Each program is proof of the important work that happens at senior centers.
Read about the 2018 programs of excellence winners to get unique programming ideas for your center. A complete listing of all submitted programs is available as a NISC member-benefit.
Community Development, Leadership and Intergenerational Programs
- Winner: 100 Cups of Coffee, Norwell Council on Aging, MA
- Honorable mention: Bridging the Gap, Lutz Senior Center, FL
- Winner: Griswell’s Open Mic and Poetry Slam, J. Charley Griswell Senior Center, GA
- Honorable mention: Enjoying Opera and Classical Music, Surrey Services for Seniors, PA
- Winner: Mystic Muddy Mayhem, Groton Senior Center, CT
- Honorable mention: Seniors Got Talent, West Side Active Older Adult Community Center, PA
Health and Wellness Programs
- Winner: The Living Well Talk Series
- Honorable mention: Effects of Play Therapy on Balance and Quality of Life in Older Adults, Johnson City Senior Center, TN
- Winner: DCSL’s Top Chef, Durham Center for Senior Life, NC
- Honorable mention: Social Supper, Plainville Senior Center, MA
- Winner: My Journey, Friendship Centers, FL
- Honorable mention: Journey into Space, Parkville Senior Center, MD
- Winner: Making Technology Easier for Seniors Expo, Robert and Pearl Seymour Center, NC
- Honorable mention: Get your Feet Wet with Technology, Catonsville Senior Center, NC
Marketing Strategy or Campaign Award
- Winner: Senior Shopping Mall, Senior Services Associates, Inc., IL
- 2017 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2016 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2015 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2014 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2013 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2012 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2011 NISC programs of excellence winners
How to apply
All senior centers are invited to submit a program in one of the six categories above. Judges will look for programs that are innovative, creative, and easily replicated. Applications will open in Fall 2019.