Every year, the National Institute of Senior Centers (NISC) honors outstanding efforts made by senior centers across the nation to offer innovative, creative, and replicable programs for older adults.
Senior centers across the country offer an exciting array of programs. The annual NISC Programs of Excellence Awards honor and promote these outstanding efforts.
In 2018, NISC is offerring $100 awards for winners of each category, and a $300 award for the top social isolation prevention campaign! The $300 award will rotate through different categories over the next few years.
After reviewing 111 nominations, the NISC Committee selected 8 award winners and 8 honorable mentions. Each program is proof of the important work that happens at senior centers.
Read about the 2017 programs of excellence winners to get unique programming ideas for your center. A complete listing of all submitted programs is available as a NISC member-benefit.
Community Development, Leadership and Intergenerational Programs
- Winner: Battle of the Ages, Bykota Senior Center, Towson, MD
- Honorable mention: Southborough Trailblazers, Southborough Senior Center, Southborough, MA
- Winner: Bain’s Got Talent, Bain 50+ Center, Columbia, MD
- Honorable mention: Polka and Pierogies, Rosedale Senior Center, Rosedale, MD
- Winner: Lucky Duck Race, Rockport Council on Aging, Rockport, MA
- Honorable mention: “Souper Bowl” Saturday, Town of Groton Senior Center, Groton, CT
Health and Wellness Programs
- Winner: Derby Senior Center Health Corner: Diabetes 101 A Hand On Approach to a Healthier You, Derby Senior Center, Derby, KS
- Honorable mention: Fitbit Wellness Training Program, Newport 60+ Activity Center, Newport, OR
- Winner: “Fresh Bites” Nutrition/Cooking/Tasting Class, Agudath Israel – Moriah Senior Center, New York, NY
- Honorable mention: Ridgely Senior Center Straw Bale Community Garden, Ridgely Senior Center, Ridgely, TN
- Winner: “Who Matters” A Multigenerational Photo & Story Project, Madison Senior Center, Madison, WI
- Honorable mention: Holi – Hindu Celebration of Spring, Flower Mound Senior Center, Flower Mound, TX
- Winner: The Selfie Project, Old Bridge Senior Center, Old Bridge, NJ
- Honorable mention: Virtual Programming, Lexington Senior Services, Lexington, MA
Marketing Strategy or Campaign Award
- Winner: Reimagine Aging, Baltimore County Department of Aging, Towson, MD
- Honorable mention: Greenleaf Supportive Day Marketing Campaign, Amesbury Council on Aging, Amesbury, MA
- 2016 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2015 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2014 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2013 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2012 NISC programs of excellence winners
- 2011 NISC programs of excellence winners
How to apply
All senior centers are invited to submit a program in one of the six categories above. Judges will look for programs that are innovative, creative, and easily replicated. Apply now for the 2018 general awards here, and for the social isolation campaign award here.