The “Food Safety 101” training program is designed to educate older adults about the basics of food safety and to empower older adults to follow the steps needed to prevent foodborne illness in their home. The program is delivered by a trained FSIS Ambassador. This one-hour training program will feature a PowerPoint presentation highlighting basic food safety behaviors, specific safe-handling practices for immunocompromised persons, instructional videos, and trainer script.
Since the launch of this training program in 2016, senior centers across the country have delivered this program to over 650 older adults. Here is what they had to say about the program!
It was excellent, with great discussion questions and feedback from participants
Fantastic class! Thank you.
I liked how the deputy director related the importance of food safety to prepping foods for the grand kids, showed how this precaution could be personally relevant.
Meet the Sites
The following sites have hosted a “Food Safety 101” education program at their centers.
- College Avenue Senior Center, San Diego, CA
- ONEgeneration Senior Enrichment Center, Reseda, CA
- Senior Coastsiders, Half Moon Bay, CA
- City of Boulder Senior Services, Boulder, CO
- Groton Senior Center, Groton, CT
- Casa Iris,Washington, DC
- Dorothy’s Senior Center, Eldora, IA
- Grinnell Senior Center, Grinnell, IA
- Urbandale Senior Recreation Center, Urbandale, IA
- Programs & Services for Older Persons (PSOP), Belleville, IL
- Village of Niles, Niles, IL
- Wheeling Pavilion Senior Center, Wheeling, IL
- Liberty Senior Center, Randallstown, MD
- Arbutus Senior Center, Baltimore, MD
- Catonsville Senior Center, Catonsville, MD
- Portage Senior Center, Portage, MI
- Paw Paw Senior Center, South Haven, MI
- Crawford County Commission on Aging, Grayling, MI
- Bay Ridge Center, Brooklyn, NY
- Johnson City Senior Center, Johnson City, NY
- Park Slope Center for Successful Aging, Brooklyn, NY
- SNAP of Eastern Queens ISC, Queens Village, NY
- Center in the Park, Philadelphia, PA
- Plano Senior Recreation, Center Plano, TX
- Senior Center Inc., Charlottesville, VA