NEW this year, NCOA has designated Friday, Sept. 15, 2017 as National Senior Center Advocacy Day! This is your opportunity to focus attention on public policy issues that affect your senior center.
We encourage you to schedule events that:
- Educate participants, elected officials, and your community about how your center is funded
- Discuss how local, state, and federal legislation affect your center and participants
- Empower older adults to advocate for their senior center with their elected officials
- Host a site visit with your elected officials to educate them about your work and issues of concern to seniors. The House of Representatives, and likely the Senate, will be out of session, so federal lawmakers will be back home.
- Schedule a panel discussion with speakers who can educate participants and the community about why senior centers matter and why public funding is critical.
- Visit a member of Congress or other local elected official at their district office to deliver your message and build a relationship.
- Organize a petition or postcard writing party to send messages to elected officials from seniors on what their center means to them.
Review the Publicity Guide for more tips on engaging public officials, and watch your email for more details about this National Advocacy Day.
Got a plan for Sept. 15? Let us know at email@example.com!