Public and private benefits are a lifeline to helping low-income people with Medicare age well. But research has shown that there are still many barriers to enrollment in these programs, including knowledge of benefits and how to apply.
Boost Your Budget™ Week: Find Your Benefits to Age Well aims to change that! This national campaign will unite aging and disability service providers under a common charge to:
- Educate low-income Medicare beneficiaries and their caregivers about the benefits available to help improve their economic security and health
- Connect individuals to online (BenefitsCheckUp®) and community-based resources for screening and application assistance
When is Boost Your Budget™ Week?
Boost Your Budget ™ Week will take place during the second week of April. The inaugural campaign will kick off April 13-17, 2020.
April is Financial Literacy Month and tax time—both important opportunities to help low-income people with Medicare understand what benefits may be available to them to boost their limited income.
One campaign, multiple possibilities
NCOA welcomes the participation of any community or state agency that is working to assist low-income seniors and adults with disabilities to enroll in benefits. There is no limit on what your organization may do to draw attention to your services. For example, you may wish to:
- Host a benefits screening booth as part of a health or tax assistance fair
- Sponsor a “telethon” at your local radio or TV station
- Run ads in local newspapers or on social media
- Invite media, legislators, and the public to tour your facility and learn about the importance of benefits for your community
Stay tuned for more resources and details
NCOA is creating a suite of campaign materials with a unified look and feel that organizations can tailor to include their logos, contact, and event information. Watch this space in the coming months for:
- Sample social media posts
- Outreach posters, flyers, and brochures
- Press releases
- And more!