Reauthorization of the Older Americans Act updates the statute that provides direction and funding for a number of aging services impacting our nation's seniors.
Many of NCOA's priorities were included in the final 2020 legislation that was signed into law on March 25, 2020.
Originally H.R. 4334, Dignity in Aging Act of 2019, the final statute became the Supporting Older Americans Act of 2020.
On March 11, 2020, the House approved the Senate amendment to H.R. 4334, representing the bipartisan, bicameral compromise on Older Americans Act (OAA) reauthorization. Now named the Supporting Older Americans Act of 2020, it was signed into law on March 25, 2020.
- The National Council on Aging's (NCOA) endorsement (what's next for OAA) and press release, applauding the bipartisan support for H.R. 4334, Dignity in Aging Act of 2019
- Committee section-by-section summary
- Public Law text
H.R. 4334, Dignity in Aging Act of 2019, introduced on Sept. 16, 2019; originally passed the House by voice vote on Oct. 28, 2019.
- Read the Committee fact sheet on and section-by-section summary of the legislation that passed the House in 2019.
- Review the Education and Labor Committee press release to see the remarks of Chairman Scott (D-VA).
- See the remarks and press release of Rep. Bonamici (D-OR), sponsor of H.R. 4334 and Chair of the Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Human Services.
- Review the remarks of Rep. Stefanik (R-NY), cosponsor of H.R. 4334 and Republican manager of the House floor debate.
- Read the press release from Rep. Comer (R-KY), Ranking Member of the Subcommittee on Civil Rights and Human Services.
House Committee on Education and Labor Sept. 18, 2019 markup of H.R. 4334, Dignity in Aging Act of 2019. The bipartisan legislation incorporates the vast majority of NCOA's reauthorization priorities.
- Read NCOA's endorsement and blog post.
- View the Committee fact sheet and section-by-section summary.
- Review the markup.
House Committee on Education and Labor June 6, 2019 hearing, "Examining the Older Americans Act: Promoting Independence and Dignity for Older Americans"