By Ayla Girouard, LPN
Medically Reviewed by Brittany Ferri, PhD, OTR/L
Reviewed by Kathleen Cameron, BSPharm, MPH, Senior Director, NCOA Center for Healthy Aging
- The Puffy Adjustable Bed Base is an adjustable bed frame compatible with most foam, hybrid, and certain innerspring mattresses.
- Features like massage, programmable positions, and under-bed lighting are included to enhance your sleep experience.
- Puffy’s 101-night trial period allows you to use your Puffy Adjustable Base for more than three months risk free to make sure it’s the right adjustable bed base for your needs.
If you’re looking for an adjustable bed frame to help you sleep more comfortably, you’re not alone. In our Reviews Team’s adjustable bed survey, 78% of adjustable bed shoppers were primarily concerned with being more comfortable in bed.1
The Puffy Adjustable Base can be a great addition to a comfortable and supportive mattress in order to enhance your overall sleep experience. Puffy products are made in the U.S., and the company offers one of the best available trial periods in the online bedding market and a lifetime warranty. You can try the Puffy Adjustable Base for a 101-night trial period, and if you aren’t satisfied you can return it for a full refund. Our Reviews Team included it on the list of the best adjustable beds in 2023 because it offers the longest trial period of any brand reviewed. Puffy beds and bedding are available online and in select retail stores throughout the U.S.
Our Reviews Team researched the Puffy Adjustable Base to break down its cost, specifications, and features to help you decide if this adjustable frame is the right model for you.
Puffy Adjustable Base
Price: $899–$1,799 (Does not include mattress)
Free Shipping: Yes
Trial Period: 101 days
Puffy Adjustable Base features
The Puffy Adjustable Base comes with the following features:
- Independent head and foot adjustability: The head and foot portions of the base can be independently moved, which helps you customize your position in bed.
- Dual massage zones: Head and foot massage zones can be turned on simultaneously or separately, and you’re able to separately adjust the intensity of each massage zone.
- Wireless remote control: Wired adjustable bed remotes can get tangled and sometimes don’t reach far enough to use comfortably. With a wireless remote, you can use it from any spot or position, and store it wherever you’d like.
- Universal headboard attachment: The Puffy Adjustable Base comes with a universal headboard mount. You can attach the headboard of your choice to your adjustable bed.
- Dual USB charging ports: A double USB charging port on both sides of the adjustable base means you and your sleep partner can charge your phone, tablet, or other devices without getting out of bed or taking up a wall outlet.
- Adjustable leg height: You can adjust the legs of the adjustable base to five possible height combinations, with 11.5 inches as the maximum leg height.
- LED lighting: Press a button on the remote control and lights illuminate underneath and around the perimeter of the bed. This lighting is helpful for walking around the bed at night, and getting into or out of bed in the dark.
- One-touch presets: Presets are programmed positions with a corresponding button on the wireless remote. One touch of the button adjusts the base to the preset position.
The Puffy Adjustable Base is a good choice if you want added comfort to help relieve muscle and joint pain to promote better sleep. Changing your sleeping position may also help with sleep apnea symptoms, reduce snoring, and promote better circulation.2 The Puffy Adjustable Base comes with two memory buttons that are user-programmable, a “flat” button to set the base flat, and a “ZG” button for a zero-gravity position. Puffy’s zero-gravity position raises the head of the bed 10 degrees and the leg section 30 degrees, creating a feeling of weightlessness. Puffy also offers free delivery in two to five business days if you need your adjustable bed base quickly.
Although the Puffy Adjustable Base has some great features, it is not the best choice if you want more advanced technology like sleep insights, Bluetooth connectivity, or smart home compatibility. It’s also not a good fit if you and your sleep partner prefer a California king bed because the Puffy Adjustable Base is not available in that size. Another drawback to a Puffy Adjustable Base:the company does not offer white glove delivery service, meaning you will have to move the base inside your home and set it up yourself.
Table 1 How much does the Puffy Adjustable Base cost?
|Size||Price (Does not include mattress)||Dimensions in inches|
|Twin XL||$1,199||38” W x 80” L x 15” H|
|Full||$1,299||54” W x 75” L x 15” H|
|Queen||$1,399||60” W x 80” L x 15” H|
|Split king||$2,099||76” W x 80” L x 15” H|
Payment options and discounts
Adjustable bed bases are an investment, even if you choose one of the cheapest models. If purchasing a Puffy Adjustable Base with cash or a credit card is not feasible, Puffy offers financing through Klarna on its site, which may make the adjustable base more affordable. Klarna is subject to credit approval, and works as a loan that is paid back in installments. Be aware that the annual percentage rate will also depend on your credit score and ranges from 0% to 28.99%. Below is an example of the Klarna payment terms for a queen size Puffy Adjustable Bed.
Puffy Adjustable Base discounts
Puffy offers a significant discount for certain groups, including up to $825 off any mattress and $600 in free accessories, such as pillows, sheet sets, and mattress protectors. This discount can be applied after eligibility is verified by completing an online form. Eligible groups are:
- Health care professionals
- Military (including active duty, veterans, spouses, and dependents)
There is no listed discount for the Adjustable Base on the Puffy website, but we confirmed through the Puffy online chat feature that the Adjustable Base is eligible for a smaller discount for the same groups listed above.
Does Puffy offer a discount for older adults?
No, Puffy does not offer a discount for older adults. We did confirm that the discounts listed above are offered to those retired from the health care, military, and education fields.
If you are an older adult purchasing an adjustable bed base or mattress from Puffy, be sure to contact customer service to confirm eligibility for discounts that may not be listed.
Delivery, warranty, and returns
When you purchase a Puffy Adjustable Base, it will be delivered in two to five business days with free standard curbside delivery. All Puffy orders are shipped via FedEx, and order tracking is available through the Puffy website. Puffy offers free shipping to all 50 states, but does not ship internationally.
The Puffy Adjustable Base comes with a lifetime warranty. This warranty covers any defects in the original materials or workmanship for however long you own the base. If your adjustable base is determined to have a covered defect, Puffy will repair the defect or replace the base with a current comparable model. While Puffy states it repairs defects, the warranty only covers the parts required for repair. The owner is responsible for any shipping, labor, or service costs associated with the repair. In order to qualify for warranty coverage you must be the original owner of your adjustable base, and you must have purchased it from the Puffy website or an authorized Puffy distributor.
If you aren’t sure if an adjustable bed is right for you, Puffy is a great option. It’s one of the few adjustable base manufacturers to offer a generous trial period. Most adjustable bed bases available for purchase online are final sale and cannot be returned once shipped. During Puffy’s 101-night trial period, if you decide you don’t want to keep your Puffy Adjustable Base, you can return it for a full refund for free . Plus, when you return a mattress, Puffy donates it to a children’s charity so it doesn’t go to waste.
Your Puffy Adjustable Base is eligible for return after 14 nights under the terms of the 101-night trial period. While you can initiate a return on day 15, Puffy recommends spending at least 30 nights on your new adjustable base or mattress before making a decision. If you decide to proceed with a return during the trial period, Puffy will also cover return shipping costs.
Puffy customer service
Puffy customer service is available by phone, email, or online chat.
- Phone (1-800-430-8380) available 6:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. PT, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. PT, Saturday and Sunday
- Email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Contact form on website
To reach customer support by online chat, go to Puffy’s website and click the blue “Chat with an expert” button in the bottom right corner of your screen. Our Reviews Team opened the chat box after business hours and saw it clearly stated when chat would be back online the next day.
We were able to ask a question and enter our email address, and Puffy customer support emailed us an answer to our question as soon as they came back online the next day.
You can also contact Puffy customer service through Puffy’s contact form, and customer service will respond by email.
The Puffy Adjustable Base is compatible with all Puffy mattresses. While it may be compatible with your current mattress, you should check with the mattress manufacturer first. Note that adjustable mattresses do not require a box spring if they are used with an adjustable base. If you haven’t upgraded or replaced your mattress in the last 10 years, it might be a good time to do that as well. The Better Sleep Council recommends replacing your mattress about every seven years, as sleeping on an old mattress can lead to increased discomfort and an overall decline in sleep quality.3 The Sleep Foundation also recommends replacing your mattress every six to eight years.4
An adjustable base does not include the mattress, and a new mattress is an additional expense with the cost of your Puffy adjustable base. It’s important to keep that in mind when considering your budget for an adjustable bed frame.
Customer reviews of Puffy
Puffy is not accredited by the BBB, although the company has an A+ rating. Its listing shows an average customer review rating of 2.06 out of 5 stars from more than 50 customer reviews. Positive reviews mention the comfortable mattresses and improved sleep quality. Most recent negative reviews mention shipping delays and customers not receiving their products when expected.
On TrustPilot, Puffy has a better customer rating at 3.8 out of 5 stars from more than 70 customer reviews. Positive customer reviews on TrustPilot mention excellent customer service and improved sleep quality, while negative reviews also mention shipping issues.
What people have to say about Puffy
“I love the mattress! It really is the best sleep I ever had in my life. I would only recommend that you also buy the adjustable base as it makes the sleep even better. Plus the massage feature is really cool.”
— ZAIDA H., VERIFIED CUSTOMER (BBB.ORG)
“Amazing service & the product has completely transformed the way we sleep! Customer service was so helpful in the process – highly recommended.”
— ELLEN M., VERIFIED CUSTOMER (TRUSTPILOT.COM)
“Their trial period and warranty process is a joke. Their mattresses are designed to break down after a year or two; long after you’re eligible for a refund, which leaves you with no other option than to initiate a warranty claim for a replacement mattress. The trouble is they require you to provide photos that are nearly impossible for single or elderly people to take – they require you to move the mattress and place it on the floor because they want photos of the bed frame.”
— MARY, VERIFIED CUSTOMER (TRUSTPILOT.COM)
Why you can trust our Reviews Team’s expert review
Our Reviews Team recommends products and services we believe provide value in the lives of our readers. We’ve spent more than 550 hours carrying out in-depth research on adjustable beds to give you the most accurate review. To make our selections, we:
- Surveyed 600 adjustable bed users for first-person insights
- Interviewed 2 industry experts
- Researched 30 different models across the category
- Read verified customer reviews from trusted third parties such as the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and Trustpilot
How we chose the best adjustable beds
Based on our expert consultations and research, we determined the following factors to be important for our readers when shopping for an adjustable bed:
- Trial period
- Delivery and setup
- Brand reputation
- Special features
- Number of size options
We had all of our selections medically reviewed by an expert in the field to ensure each brand and model is appropriate for our readers’ needs.
The Puffy Adjustable Base is a great all-around option for comfort and adjustability. It offers basic features like massage and separate head and foot adjustment, along with practical features like under-bed lighting and built-in USB charging ports. The adjustable base comes in four sizes and is compatible with all Puffy mattresses. The 101-day trial period also makes it easy to try the adjustable base for yourself with the option to return it for a refund. Whether you’re looking for enhanced comfort or relief from symptoms of pain, the Puffy Adjustable Base may help improve your sleep quality. It is important to know that Puffy does not offer white glove delivery service, so make sure you have help to move the delivered adjustable base into your bedroom and to set it up.
Frequently asked questions
Have questions about this review? Email us at email@example.com.
- NCOA Adviser Adjustable Beds Survey. 600 respondents. Conducted using Pollfish. Launched August 5, 2022
- JMIR Publications. Sleeping in an Inclined Position to Reduce Snoring and Improve Sleep: In-home Product Intervention Study. Found on the internet at https://formative.jmir.org/2022/4/e30102.
- The Better Sleep Council. When to Say “So Long” to Your Mattress. Found on the internet at https://bettersleep.org/mattress-education/replacing-a-mattress/.
- Sleep Foundation. When Should You Replace Your Mattress? Found on the internet at https://www.sleepfoundation.org/mattress-information/when-should-you-replace-your-mattress