As the Senior Director, Decision Support Services, you will oversee and be responsible for a portfolio of established nationwide programs focused on increasing enrollment of low-income older adults into benefits programs that help them pay for prescription drugs, medical care, food, or heat for their homes.
As the Senior Director, Decision Support Services, you will lead a matrixed team responsible for the enhancement and maintenance of proprietary digital decision support services including NCOA’s flagship products – BenefitsCheckUp and My Medicare Matters. You will have responsibility and accountability for an innovative, robust, and mature digital portfolio. This portfolio currently includes consumer web properties, digital mobile-ready properties, private (white) label versions of the products. You will also be responsible for expanding the digital outreach strategy for the products including a pilot mobile app, a pilot SMS project to notify older adults to complete their benefits applications, implementing a multi-language version of the products, AI predictive solutions and other innovative initiatives to increase enrollment and engagement of low-income older adults into benefits programs.
The Senior Director will report to the Chief Customer Officer (CCO) or his or her subordinate manager. You will work collaboratively with the NCOA staff, external grantees and clients, consultants/vendors, and other partners. While you will report to the CCO, you will work collaboratively with staff from across NCOA and specifically with the Chief Information Officer’s team and the Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer’s team. You will work to cultivate new revenue opportunities (both from existing and new funders/clients) to support NCOA’s work, including federal and foundation grants, philanthropy, and corporate support. Working in close coordination with NCOA’s Public Policy & Advocacy staff, you will also support policy initiatives to achieve even greater social impact.
NCOA is the national voice for every person’s right to age well. We believe everyone deserves to age with the best possible health and economic security, regardless of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, or background. NCOA empowers individuals with trusted, proven solutions to improve their daily lives, and we protect and strengthen federal programs that people depend on as they age.
- Our vision: A just and caring society in which each of us, as we age, lives with dignity, purpose, and security.
- Our mission: Improve the lives of millions of older adults, especially those who are struggling.
- Our social impact goal: Improve the health and economic security of 10 million older adults by 2020.
- Principal lead on the day-to-day operations – program offerings, technology, digital marketing and financial aspects of BenefitsCheckUp and My Medicare Matters as well as other digital support services.
- Product manager with a strong ability to articulate/product requirements which can be transformed into digital properties
- Provides leadership and direction with respect to the development, implementation, and release of supporting technology solutions
- Responsible for budget and budget oversight
- Able to provide competent strategic and tactical insights as a member of the management team
- Champion and successful achievement of social impact goals, as approved by the NCOA Board of Directors, and support the organizational direction and strategic priorities set by the NCOA executive team and Board of Directors.
- Supervise and provide support to program and technology staff; mentor, coach, counsel, grow, and nurture staff members consistent with NCOA’s career path framework, which is built to support NCOA’s strategy and maximize social impact, and includes adoption of social enterprise strategies.
- Develop thought leadership around specific topics/emerging areas of focus, including access to benefits, SNAP, and economic security.
- Foster collaboration with a variety of internal and external partners, including national, state, and local organizations, as well as corporations and foundations. Actively seek widespread engagement of other organizations in program strategies and activities.
- Cultivate and maintain strong relationships with funding agencies, philanthropic and corporate sponsors, and clients, and ensure that NCOA meets or exceeds the expected outcomes of NCOA’s grants.
- Lead proposal and report writing efforts for grants and look beyond current program offerings to create and curate new program concepts, designs, and plans as it relates to decision support tools.
- Become a subject matter expert in the decision support tools and be able to speak to perspective funders and present and demonstrate the capabilities of the tools.
- Oversee RFP process for select initiatives.
- Work collaboratively across the organization to ensure programmatic requirements are effectively translated to the digital products
- Management of multiple technology and design vendors
- A minimum of Bachelor’s degree with preference for an MBA, or master’s degree, and 10 plus years of experience managing complex programs.
- Experience in driving product performance through performance indicators and metrics. Experience in defining, applying and monitoring KPIs or OKRs.
- Experience in managing digital products with a multi/omni-channel setting using various social media channels.
- Experience in digital marketing lifecycle and campaigns.
- Experience in the public benefits, aging, or policy sector in a senior management capacity or in a senior management position in a nonprofit organization, foundation, corporation, or government agency.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Advanced oral and written communication skills; exceptional presentation, public speaking, negotiation, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrable ability to successfully manage multiple concurrent projects
- Able to organize and manage cross functional workgroups including remote resources and external partners.
- Experience managing complex budgets.
- Excellent logic and critical thinking skills.
- External facing with excellent presentation skills and a clear sense of audiences.
- Experience generating substantial new program ideas with funding potential.
- Demonstrable ability to successfully solicit and obtain new sources of funding from foundations, corporations, government agencies, and other sources.
- Understanding of and involvement in grant writing is a plus.
- Demonstrable experience in a digital product development capacity, preferably as a product owner or manager.
- Self-starter who strives for excellence, maintains a culture of continuous improvement, and is welcoming of feedback and open dialogue.
- Strong proficiency with business analytics tools and platforms to effectively track program efficacy including Google Analytics
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and web-based software tools and development practices.
- Mission driven. Knows and understands NCOA’s strategies for achieving social impact. Develops a basic understanding and empathy for NCOA’s target population.
- Determined. Able to drive product to desired outcomes.
- Brand Ambassador. You will be an effective ambassador for NCOA, able to articulate our mission, social impact goals, and major programs to outsiders and explain how they can get involved with NCOA.
- Relationship builder. You can build and maintain relationships with a wide array of people, including junior, senior, for-profit, nonprofit, and government professionals from diverse backgrounds. You have a history of earning respect and credibility through actions with partners.
- Excellent project manager. You plan carefully to keep projects on schedule and on budget. Your communication is key to how a project runs. You can make quick decisions and work efficiently to keep several projects and teams running at the same time while looking ahead at future projects.
- Firm and fair mentor/supervisor. You are an excellent mentor and are known for developing great people. You confidently engage staff at all levels to define needs and expectations. You insist on respect and accountability. People enjoy working with you.
- Strong business acumen. You set priorities wisely and know how to make tough resource allocation decisions, always finding a way to forward strategic initiatives while enriching relationships. You know how to translate strategy into action. You have successfully structured programs to meet organizational needs.
- Commitment to cultural competency. You have a personal approach that understands and values the individual and respects differences.
- Organization agility. You understand how organizations work, where to build relationships, and how to get results through other people.
- Adaptable. You can anticipate and respond to change in a fast-paced environment daily. You are willing to learn new ways of approaching your work to achieve better results.
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
- For more than 65 years, NCOA is committed to improving the lives of older adults, our passion, and our mission. NCOA is a highly-regarded national institution.
- Your work will be highly visible and critical to promotion of NCOA’s programs and resources.
- The work you do today will have an impact for decades to come.
- Your work provides a direct and immediate service: supporting community-based organizations to strengthen programs and services that increase the quality and years of life for millions of older Americans.
- This is an intellectually stimulating environment and an organization that works passionately and enthusiastically to fulfill the goals of our programs and our overarching mission.
- Your experience, opinions, and expertise are valued—what you bring to the table is vital to our success.
- We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package, including medical and dental insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with a generous contribution, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, education assistance and more.
- NCOA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to these principles. We value and welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage all minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities to apply.
Simply email your resume to Kristen Kiefer at firstname.lastname@example.org with “NCOA Senior Director Decision Support Services” as the subject of the email.
NCOA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NCOA is committed to recruiting and maintaining a diverse staff; individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. NCOA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parenthood, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.