NCOA seeks to hire a Chief Customer Officer (CCO), an Executive-level position that provides the comprehensive and authoritative view of the customer (older adults), understands our customers better than any other individual at NCOA, and creates organizational and customer strategy at the highest levels of NCOA to maximize customer acquisition, retention, and profitability. The CCO serves as the chief customer advocate that develops and executes a comprehensive customer experience strategy grounded in the relentless pursuit of our customers’ success.
The CCO can create and drive customer strategy across the NCOA, unencumbered by boundaries imposed by traditional silos or business units, and will ensure NCOA has a system of shared values and behaviors around delivering great customer experience for older adults. The CCO will work across NCOA’s grants-driven and social entrepreneurial programmatic work and network partners to: 1) deeply understand customers’ needs, wants, desires, and attitudes regarding its products and services; 2) assign executive champions for innovation initiatives; 3) create a unified process for identifying, qualifying and monetizing opportunities for products, services, markets, or segments; and, 4) raise significant revenue to accomplish the work of NCOA’s programmatic endeavors.
The CCO must be a change agent inside of NCOA to achieve the following:
- Engage the organization in managing customer relationships, revenue and social impact investment.
- Grow NCOA’s customer base and increase its strength as an organizational asset.
- Drive accountability and establish metrics for defining the relationship with customers in partnership with Finance, Marketing & Communications and senior managers.
- Be the voice of the Customer Engagement competency development, creating a persistent focus on the customer’s evolving needs through:
- Real-time issue trending and tracking (such insights from research, etc.)
- Corralling all data surveys and uniting an NCOA-wide approach.
- Optimizing “listening” pipe opportunities, web, social media, field partners, donors, etc.
- Creating a united platform for understanding and taking action.
- Influence cross-NCOA agreement on how to deliver greatest value to customers, in partnership with the Chief Growth Officer, Marketing & Communications and Finance by:
- Defining what customers value and determining the differentiating experience to be delivered.
- Determining which customers to invest in.
- Deciding where to make investment decisions, that is, the highest-impact contacts and efforts.
- Creating a common language set and definitions for the customer experience.
- Leading the accountability forums/dashboard reviews (i.e., when to meet with whom to drive accountability).
- Work with leaders on messages, reinforcing, recommendations for recognition, and driving the culture change forward.
- Clarify a common approach and process for driving the work across the organization, in partnership with all functional Vice Presidents/Senior Managers, especially Chief of Staff/Transformation officer.
- Identify operational accountability cross-functional alliances.
- Facilitate working together across the silos instead of separately within them.
- Instill the discipline of process change and change management into the organization.
- Raise funds and enhance NCOA’s profitability to support its programmatic and customer-centric work, in partnership with the President & CEO, Chief Growth Officer and Chief Development Officer.
- Support leaders in their role as cultural leaders in the transformation journey, in partnership with the Chief of Staff/Transformation Officer.
- Plan, organize and align NCOA’s programmatic portfolios (economic security and healthy living) and network activation strategy to achieve maximum social impact and triple bottom line results.
- Implement and execute short- and long-term plans and budgets to achieve goals and financial objectives for NCOA’s programmatic areas of economic security and healthy living and to activate network partners around them, including the establishment and achievement of key performance indicators.
The Chief Customer Officer will be committed to NCOA’s strategy and passionate about its mission. All candidates should have experience engaging and securing funders to support/sustain proven programs, as well as development and deployment of new innovative programs; demonstrated leadership, talent development, and budget management capabilities; and significant experience with the design of qualitative or quantitative research/program evaluation techniques and processes. S/he must possess the following qualifications:
- Track record of effectively leading a performance-based and outcome-based program and staff. S/he will have developed and operationalized strategies that have elevated a program or organization to the next stage of growth/impact.
- Commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management with the demonstrated ability to achieve strategic objectives while responsibly managing to a budget.
- Experience utilizing data analytics to determine program success and ensure that NCOA is targeting the appropriate audience.
- Customer-focused individual who can work across functional areas to ensure NCOA is meeting their audience’s programmatic needs.
- Proven track record of progressive experience in proposal development, fundraising, program development, and evaluation.
- Demonstrated experience engaging with a wide range of stakeholders including advisory groups, coalitions, forums, trade associations, foundations, corporate sponsors, and practitioner groups.
- Strong ability to think analytically and critically, including translating ideas and insights into real-world research projects with specific and measurable outcomes.
- Good experience developing and managing multiple agile teams in a somewhat resource constrained environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; a capable public speaker possessing the ability to communicate with and gain the confidence of people from a variety of sectors and settings.
- Experience developing and managing evaluations of community-based program innovations.
- A mission-driven, self-directed individual with demonstrated passion for NCOA’s purpose and commitment to working collaboratively with a high-performance management team of senior professionals.
Minimum education and experience needed to perform this role:
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant work experience
- Master’s degree required
NCOA offers a generous employee benefits program that includes: annual, sick, personal, and holiday leave; health insurance; contributions to a 403(b) plan; short- and long-term disability; and life insurance.
How to Apply
NCOA has engaged executive search firm KornFerry to assist with the applications for this position. To apply, please submit resume and cover letter referencing the job “Chief Customer Officer – NCOA” to Adolfo Minoso at Adolfo.Minoso@KornFerry.com.
NCOA is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is dedicated to these principles. We value and welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage all minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities to apply.