Frequently Asked Questions
Shortcut Navigation:
Change Text Size: A A A

Frequently Asked Questions


Here are answers to NCOA's Frequently Asked Questions:

For Aging Professionals

For Seniors and Caregivers

For Aging Professionals

Funding: Does NCOA fund projects?

NCOA does not provide funding for projects. However, we do offer many Funding & Sustainability resources online. You also may wish to contact The Foundation Center, the primary source for information about grants and funding. Check to see if there is a Cooperating Collection in your area where you can get free access to the Foundation Center materials.

Older Americans Month: What and when is it?

Older Americans Month is always in May. For more information and celebration materials, please visit the Administration on Aging's website.

Research: Where can I find statistics on aging?

The U.S. Administration on Aging provides updated statistics on the aging population, as well as links to the AGing Integrated Database, U.S. Census data and population estimates, and key indicators of well-being on its Statistics Page.

For Older Adults and Caregivers

Adult day services: Where can I learn more?  

Contact the National Adult Day Services Association.

Funding: How can I pay for continuing education?

There are several avenues that you can take to get help with further education.

  • Approach the college or university that you are considering for the courses you wish to take. They may have a program for nontraditional students. If you have not selected a specific institution or program, there are directories for Distance Learning, the current name for correspondence courses. Many courses are taught through the Internet. Your local public library can help you locate the resources you may need in your search for information. Also, your local college or university library may be of help.

  • Apply for scholarships. There are many scholarships available for people with special needs. The Foundation Center is an excellent resource for locating funding information.

  • Get the Foundation Center's publications for free. You can find what libraries or agencies in your geographic area have them by going to Cooperating Collections and clicking on your state.

  • Review print directories. You can find two key directories at your local public library or buy them at a bookstore or online:

    • Financial Aid for the Disabled and Their Families, by Gail Schlachter and David R. Weber. Provides information about hundreds of scholarship, fellowship, loan, grant, award, and internship programs established and designed primarily or exclusively for the disabled or members of their families.

    • Resources for People with Disabilities: A National Directory, (2 vols.), by Shawn Woodyard, ed.  This directory lists associations, organizations, companies, publications, conferences, and funding sources of interest to the disabled.

Hearing loss and hearing aids: How do I find information about them?

Please contact these organizations:

Help for parents or other seniors: Where do I find help?

NCOA has developed a web-based benefits screening service and anonymous questionnaire called BenefitsCheckUp, that may help you to locate services that your parents could qualify for.  If you don’t have access to the Internet, please visit your local library or senior center where there may be computers you can use.

Job search: Where are resources for older workers?

NCOA is one of the national organizations participating in the Senior Community Service Employment Program. This program provides training and placement for low-income older workers, aged 55 years old and older. NCOA also sponsors the Senior Environmental Employment program, which supports environmental projects while giving older workers an opportunity to use the skills they gained during their careers.

In the Washington, DC, area, please contact these programs for employment information and referral:

Legal issues: Will NCOA help?

NCOA does not give legal advice. You may wish to contact the following organizations:

There are pro bono programs available to help the elderly. Get as much information as you can from a variety of sources, including further referrals from each organization or agency that you contact.

Also, those living on low income should consider looking into BenefitsCheckUp, a Web-based benefits screening service that NCOA developed.

Local services: Where do I find them for myself or an aging parent?

Contact the local area agency on aging, which is often called the Council on Aging. To find this agency, search the Eldercare Locator or call 800-677-1116. The local public library also may have additional resources for elderly residents living in the community.

Long-term care insurance: Can NCOA recommend a plan?

NCOA is not in a position to recommend specific long-term care insurance plans. Much depends on the state you live in and your individual situation. Here are some resources:

Nursing homes or assisted living: Where can I find information?

NCOA does not focus on nursing home or assisted living issues. You may wish to contact one or more of the following organizations for a response to your questions:

Subsidized housing for seniors: How do I find it?

Here are some options:

  • Contact the local housing authority in your community. To find it, ask your local public library, do a Web search for your local area agency on aging, or search the Eldercare Locator.
  • Search the Eldercare Locator or call 1-800-677-1116.
  • Check the HUD website; click on your state to get information on local resources.
  • Look at BenefitsCheckUp®, NCOA's free, online benefits screening service, if you are over 65 or helping someone who is. This is an anonymous way to find out what federal, state, and local programs you qualify for.


want to sign up

Get the latest news on health, economic security, and advocacy for older adults.

Sign Up